Quick Hits: 12/19/11
Less than a week until Christmas! Who’s excited?
I’ve always wondered how many people eat out for Christmas. To my knowledge, my family never has and I don’t know of any friends whose family does. Do any of you readers eat out for Christmas?
Denise Neil put up a great little collection of places that are open: http://www.kansas.com/2011/12/13/2140052/heres-what-restaurants-will-be.html
- I’ve made a list of places that I really want to try out. That list includes Chapada Steakhouse, AVI, Sloppy Joe’s, Wichita Brewing and Pizza Company, Charlie’s Taco Pizza, Ciao, and Bocconcini. I received tons of opinions on each of the places. Many that differed from whether one place was good or bad. So I can’t wait to try them out for myself. With Project Minimum Wage coming up in less than two weeks, I’m going to have to crank some of these out soon.
- I did have a chance to try out Sloppy Joe’s and wrote that blog here. Unfortunately that’s one place I see struggling for business in the future and am very unsure of their future.
- The Kansas Star Casino opens up this month. As an avid fan of casinos, I will have to check this place out. To any readers who are purchasing me Christmas gifts like say family, “straight cash homie” is the way to go. I need something to bet on black with! I drove by the casino on my way to Tulsa a couple weeks and it looks very nice. Interested to see what the inside looks like.
- I heard over the weekend that Souper Salad closed. This was in the building at Kellogg and Rock right next to Toys “R” Us. While not a place I frequented often (probably once a year), it was a place I always enjoyed when I stopped by. I guess showing up one time per year for the last 13 years it’s been opened wasn’t enough to prevent its demise.
- Went to Wasabi over the weekend and tried out three different rolls, I’ve never had before. I think Wasabi solidified to me that they have the best sushi in Wichita (east side for sure but it’s still debatable between Wasabi and Kanai).
Red Dragon Roll: (spicy tuna, cream cheese, avocado, baked red snapper) – this roll they light on fire in front of you, so take it easy on the hairspray if you go.
Baked Lobster Roll: (crab, cucumber, avocado, baked baby lobster)
Crazy Crab Roll: (crab, avocado, cream cheese, shrimp tempura, shrimp)
All were very delicious but if I had to rank them, I would say Baked Lobster Roll, Crazy Crab Roll and then the Red Dragon Roll)
I think I’ll have plenty of time to crank out Letters “S” and “T” before December ends. If anybody has suggestions for Letter S, just throw them my way.
Go Shox tonight! Even though it’s “just Newman”.