Project Local Eats
Welcome to Project Local Eats! This was an idea started by local food supporter, Mona Harrison, as a way to promote the idea of patronizing local restaurants and flood them with support. Every week, we will make at least three restaurant suggestions covering different cuisines in different parts of town. These will be restaurants exclusive to the Wichita area and ones you can’t find anywhere else. If you have restaurants who need some love, you can recommend them here.
How you can participate:
- Eat at the restaurant. If it’s something as simple as ordering a drink, stopping by for dessert, getting a full meal, support the restaurant.
- Leave a review! Whether you choose to eat at the restaurant or sit the week out, leave a genuine, positive review if you like the place. Reviews can stimulate the business and help their search position. Word of mouth works! Do it on your social pages, leave a review on their Yelp, Google listing, Facebook page or more.
- Buy a gift card. If you want to avoid bombarding the restaurant and worried about it being too busy, try purchasing a gift card if they have the option.
- Wait until later. If time is short, visit the restaurants listed whenever it works for your schedule.
- Interact with their social media accounts. Like, comment, follow, share what you love about them.
- Share this blog. Get as many people involved as you can.
Other participants in the project will take point on notifying the restaurants to give them a heads up. With any project, we get there are hesitations and pushback on whether it’s worth it. All I can say is, we don’t know until we give it a try. Will it be sustainable? Who knows, but perhaps this could be the spark the restaurant needs. If anything, you may learn of a new restaurant you’ll love.
Without further ado, here’s Week 1 or Project Local Eats:
Fizz Burgers and Bottles
7718 E 37th St N, Wichita, KS 67226
(Nearest intersection: 37th and Rock Road)
Monday – Saturday: 11am – 9pm
Closed on Sunday
Description: Made from scratch burgers, fries, sweet potato fries, chicken sandwiches, pulled pork, and more.
El Jalisco Mexican Restaurant
627 E 47th St S., Wichita, KS 67216
(Nearest intersection: 47th and Broadway)
Wednesday – Monday: 10:30am – 9pm
Closed on Tuesday
Description: Mexican restaurant serving tacos, tortas, burritos, pupusas, enchiladas and more.
7603 W 21st Street, Wichita, KS 67205
(Nearest intersection: 21st and Ridge Road)
Tuesday – Sunday: 11am – 9pm
Closed on Monday
Description: Thai and Asian cuisine
As you decide which restaurant(s) you plan to visit, it’s important to note:
A sudden rush of new business, food shortages, staffing issues, a change in operating hours, may be frustrating or may result in slower service when you eat out. Wait time may also be longer than usual, and mishaps can happen during unprecedented times.
These are indeed not normal times. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Try to be patient and understand that the new reality is impacting everyone, and most people are doing the best they can.
Have a restaurant, you want to suggest? Fill out the form here.
If you want to visit past Project Local Eats suggestions, you can visit the archive here.