While watching Pioneer Woman one evening, we were mesmerized by one of her recipes. It was for beef stroganoff; a favorite dish of mine. Everything she puts out seems to turn to gold so we figured why not give this one a try?
I’ve pinned the recipe to our Pinterest page.
Pioneer Woman’s Beef Stroganoff:
- 1 pound Sirloin Steak, Cut Into Cubes
- Kosher Salt And Black Pepper To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 whole Large Onion, Finely Diced
- 2 whole Carrots, Finely Diced
- 8 ounces, weight White Button Mushrooms, Stemmed And Halved
- 1/2 cup Brandy
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream, Room Temperature
- 1 teaspoon (heaping) Dijon Mustard
- Cooked Egg Noodles, For Serving
- Minced Parsley, For Serving
- Season the steak with salt and pepper, then heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add half the meat to the pan and brown it quickly, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the first batch to a bowl and cook the rest of the meat. Remove and set all the meat aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan and add the onion, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook until the mixture is deep golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the brandy and add 2 cups of the stock. Stir, scrape the bottom of the pan, and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook to reduce the liquid by about a third, 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small pitcher, make a slurry by mixing the remaining 1/4 cup stock and the cornstarch with a fork. Pour the slurry into the skillet and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Stir in the sour cream and Dijon.
- Add the beef and stir over low heat until the mixture is nice and piping hot. Taste and adjust seasonings as you like.
- Serve over cooked noodles and sprinkle with parsley (optional)
The sauce was AMAZING. The aroma of the brandy stuck out but it tasted even better. The liquor seemed to give the sauce a very zesty pop that we both loved. It wasn’t as rich in flavor as some other beef stroganoffs we have had. This was certainly one dish we added to our list to make again in the future.
There was one drawback we want to change in the future. We used stew meat and found it to be incredibly tough. Next time we make this, we are going to change the type of meat. Any suggestions on what we should use the next go around? Help this rookie!
Have a great Instant Pot recipe to share? Please e-mail us as we are always open to suggestions.
Check out more from Wichita By E.B. by visiting our social media sites:
1 thought on “Recipes: Pioneer Woman’s Beef Stroganoff”
Making the stroganoff in the Instant Pot would have made the meat more tender.
I’d also like to recommend two stroganoff recipes for the Instant Pot. First a wonderful Instant Pot Pork Stroganoff recipe:
…and an excellent beef stroganoff recipe:
You could use this recipe, but use the ingredients from the Pioneer Woman – at least the brandy. Barbara uses round steak rather than sirloin steak.
I’d recommend any pressure cooker recipe from Pressure Cooking Today. I’ve made many of Barbara Schieving’s recipes and haven’t found one yet that wasn’t good. Yesterday I made Coq au Vin and we thought it was fabulous.