You get to bring ONE restaurant back to Wichita. Just one that used to be here and closed. What one restaurant do you choose to revive?
Did I mention, you’re just choosing one restaurant
The feedback was pretty incredible. Over a thousand comments and tweets came in with many restaurants. It was nostalgic looking back at many of the ones mentioned.
I decided to pool those responses together to see which ones were most commonly mentioned. Here were the 20 favorites in no particular order:
- Doc’s Steakhouse
- Hong Kong Restaurant
- Amarillo Grill
- Red Bean’s Bayou Grill
- Granite City
- Willie C’s
- Kwan Court
- Sub n Stuff
- Magnolia Cafe
- White Castle
- Red Mesa
- Macaroni Grill
- Yen Ching
- Joe Kelly’s
- Garden Cafe
- Abe’s Steakhouse
There was a sprinkling of chains mixed in with many popular old-time favorites.
Some notes about the ones mentioned:
- Grandy’s – The chain is currently still open with the closest one being in Oklahoma City. On my last visit to OKC, I stopped by a couple of times. Still, as good as I remember!
- Red Bean’s Bayou Grill – This has been revived as Red Bean’s To Go. You can get their take and bake meals at The COOP. Check out their Facebook page.
- White Castle – They sell their burgers in the frozen aisle of many grocery stores but it isn’t the same. The closest location is in Columbia, MO. White Castle was a common stop for me and my friends every year when we traveled to St. Louis for Arch Madness.
- Yen Ching – The owners of Yen Ching opened Tasty House back in 2016. It’s located at 2431 N Greenwich Road.
- Macaroni Grill – If you’ve been craving it, the closest one looks to be in Texas where there are six locations.
- Granite City – The brewery is still open if you have some dusty growlers lying around. The closest location is in Kansas City, KS at Legends.
Lastly, it’s only fair for me to share my answer after so many people chimed in. If I could bring back just one restaurant, I would go with Doc’s Steakhouse. And it would solely be for the garlic salad. I know there are recipes out there but there was nothing like getting a double garlic salad on the cheap plastic bowls while sitting in the old run down booths.
Any restaurant that didn’t make the list that you’d vote for to return? Chime in below in the comments section!
Have some news to share? Please email us with your information for consideration. We are always open to suggestions.
Want to help support the continuing content of Wichita By E.B.?