Inside The Venue is a free guide and fact sheet to the local venues around town. Venues who participate in this series do not pay to be a part of it. This is a free resource provided to local venue businesses to help get their name out and utilize the Wichita By E.B. platform to extend their reach. If you’d like to sponsor this feature, please email us.
Sedgwick County Zoo
Why Choose Sedgwick County Zoo
The Sedgwick County Zoo is a one of a kind event venue in Wichita. With multiple rental spaces to choose from we have venues to create an atmosphere your guests will never forget. The Sedgwick County Zoo is a not-for-profit organization, accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). When you visit an AZA Zoo you are supporting a facility dedicated to providing excellent care for animals, a great experience for you, and a better future for all living things.
– Mariah Regier, group events coordinator
Location: 5555 W Zoo Blvd, Wichita, KS 67212
- Seating Capacity: Our smallest outdoor venue can hold 50. Our largest can seat 320. We have additional space to add more seating in an open field attached to our largest venue space.
- Opened in 1971
Food & Alcohol Policy
- Catering Policy: We have an onsite exclusive caterer at the Zoo. We do not allow outside catering companies to operate inside the Zoo for private events.
- Alcohol Policy: Our onsite caterer has a full liquor license. All alcohol must be supplied and served by the Zoo.
Parking is plentiful and free at the Zoo!
- Is it included in the price? Yes
- Is there covered parking? No
- VIP/valet parking available? No
- Tables & Chairs: Each venue space has a seating capacity. Tables and chairs for that seating capacity are included in the rental prices. Additional tables and chairs can be added on for a fee ($10.50/1.25)
- Linens: Depending on the catering meal chosen linens are included in the price. Our dinner and some lunch options include linens.
- Table Decor: There is no table décor included in the rental rate. Groups are more than welcome to bring in their own table décor. Since animal safety is our number 1 concern at the Zoo we do have a few limitations on décor allowed in– all items have to be secured (no items that can fly away), no balloons, no fake flowers or seeds, and no open flames.
- A/V Equipment: Our indoor rental spaces, located inside the Cargill Learning Center, are equipped with A/V – projector, sound system, TVs, microphones. One outdoor space has a simple audio system that is included in the price – The Elephants Learning Lodge. For our indoor spaces, AV is an additional charge. We also offer a Bluetooth speaker as an add-on charge for our outdoor events. It is a popular item to be added on for Company Picnics who want to make announcements, do a bingo game, etc.
- Kitchen Access: There is no kitchen access provided
- Dance Floor: Yes, there is plenty of room for a dance floor. Our Elephants Learning Lodge space is a popular area for wedding rentals. The uncovered patio space is a popular area for a dance floor.
- Stage: Yes. The Zoo also has a stage which is available to rent for events doing an after-hours rental. At certain venue areas there is a space for mobile stages as well.
- Wi-Fi Access: Yes
- Security: The Zoo provides security for all after hours events (after 5 pm). The fee for security is $50 per hour.
SCZ will provide normal cleaning of the premises. Extra cleaning due to activities of the User’s event will be billed and deducted from the User’s deposit. Thankfully this has rarely had to happen.
The Sedgwick County Zoo is open 364 days a year and events are held rain or shine. Due to the high demand for reserved space at Sedgwick County Zoo, we are unable to schedule advance inclement weather reservations or postpone events. All canceled events will result in forfeiture of the deposit and a restocking fee will be applied to your final bill on non-returnable food items.
Pictures have been provided by the venue for this feature.
For more Inside the Venue segments, visit our Inside the Venue archive.
If you’re a venue owner, events or sales manager and would like to participate in this series, please email us at [email protected].
Did you love the article and want to help the continuing free content at Wichita By E.B.? You can help keep our site going with a simple one-time or recurring donation. Your contribution is appreciated.