The Wichita Public Library’s “Library of Things” has expanded their variety of equipment for you to borrow for at-home use. Many of these are things I would have never thought of to borrow from a library.
Here’s the complete list of items any adult (18+) Wichita Public Library card in good standing can borrow:
- Chromebooks (In-Library Use Only): Chromebooks are available to check out from a dispenser at the Advanced Learning Library and can be used anywhere inside the Advanced Learning Library, including the terrace on the second floor. This is ideal for flexible work within the Library. Chromebooks may not be removed from the building. You can borrow a Chromebook for 3 hours. Chromebooks can be checked out on a minor library card.
- Mobile Hotspots: Access to the internet at home has never been easier. With a Library-provided mobile hotspot, you can do all sorts of activities that require an internet connection: checking email, paying bills online, applying for jobs, conducting research, and more. You can borrow a hotspot for 14 days.
- Radon Detectors: Radon detectors let customers test radon levels in their homes or businesses. Radon is a colorless, odorless and radioactive gas that can accumulate indoors over time. The gas is a decay of Uranium/Radium that is released into the air, and is the second leading cause of lung cancer. According to the EPA, Sedgwick County is considered to be a medium risk zone for radon. You can borrow a radon detector for 14 days.
- STEAM to GO! Kits: Bring these creative and educational STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathematics) kits to your home! Each STEAM kit comes with different themed activities and books that take learning to a whole new level. These STEAM kits are intended for grade 4+ but can be adjusted according to different age levels. You can borrow a STEAM to GO! Kit for 14 days. Only 1 kit can be checked out on a library card at a time. STEAM to GO! kits can be checked out on a minor library card.
- Telescopes: Look to the stars with the Orion StarBlast Astronomical Telescope available to borrow from your Wichita Public Library. This telescope has been reviewed by a number of astronomical publications and is found to be a great resource for stargazing and learning about the solar system. Each telescope is mounted on a wooden base and has a large optical tube, meaning objects will appear in great detail. You can borrow a telescope for 14 days.
More information on the Library of Things can be found here.
Have some news to share? Please email us with your information for consideration. We are always open to suggestions.
Want to help support the continuing content of Wichita By E.B.?